The Covid Edition
CanoeSchool is a collaboration between Paddle Manitoba and Manitoba Pioneer Camp to provide Paddle Canada canoeing skills courses and instructor training.
Covid-19 has forced the temporary closure of Manitoba Pioneer Camp. CanoeSchool has had to adapt. This year we will only be offering certification in the Paddle Canada Lake Canoe Skills courses. The theory components of these courses will only be offered though online modules hosted by Paddle Canada certified instructors (see the schedule below). You can sign up and attend under one of the following options:
- Paddle Canada Certification: If you are interested in obtaining Paddle Canada certification in Lake Canoe, sign up for the full course. You must attend each of the online theory modules and then complete the open water skills sessions when Covid restrictions are relaxed, hopefully late summer or fall. We offer each module on two separate occasions for your convenience. You need only attend one of the offerings.
- Audit Attendance: If you are not interested in the Paddle Canada certification but want to attend some or all the modules, you can sign up to audit the ones you want. You must register (see below) and pay a modest fee as specified. This is a great way to increase your knowledge of canoeing without having to commit to full course.
CanoeSchool is taught by Paddle Canada certified instructors who volunteer their time. They do not receive any financial compensation. All funds collected from CanoeSchool in 2021 will be used by Paddle Manitoba to support the development of the La Barrier Park paddling center. The paddling center is a joint initiative by the City of Winnipeg and Paddle Manitoba to create a safe and attractive venue for recreational paddling on the La Salle River just south of the city. Know that every dollar you pay for these courses will go towards supporting recreational paddling at La Barriere Park.
Offering #1 (Green) –
- April 20, 2021 – Tuesday: Leave No Trace & How to Make “Do”.
- April 22, 2021 – Thursday: Trouble Keeping on the Straight and Narrow.
- April 27, 2021 – Tuesday: There and Back in a Day.
- April 29, 2021 – Thursday: The Chilling Facts.
- May 4, 2021 – Tuesday: Canoe by Design.
- May 6, 2021 – Thursday: Sleep Amongst the Stars.
- May 11, 2021 – Tuesday: Where are We Anyways.
- May 13, 2021 – Thursday: Wind, Waves and Weather.
- May 18, 2021 – Tuesday: Person Overboard.
- May 20, Thursday: History of the Canoe.
- May 25, Tuesday: It’s a Cinch!
- May 27, Thursday: Aquatic Invasive Species.
- June 1, Tuesday: Averting Disaster.
- Offering #2 (Red):
- June 3, Thursday: Leave No Trace & How to Make “Do”.
- June 8, Tuesday: Trouble Keeping on the Straight and Narrow.
- June 10, Thursday: There and Back in a Day.
- June 15, Tuesday: The Chilling Facts.
- June 17, Thursday: Canoe by Design.
- June 22, Tuesday: Sleep Amongst the Stars.
- June 24, Thursday: Where are We Anyways?
- June 29, Tuesday: Wind, Waves and Weather.
- July 1, Thursday: Person Overboard.
- July 6, Tuesday: History of the Canoe.
- July 8, Thursday: It’s a Cinch.
- July 13, Tuesday: Aquatic Invasive Species
- July 15, Thursday: Averting Disaster.
Register for the Paddle Canada certification course or the individual modules on the Home Page of this website.
The full Paddle Canada Lake Canoe certification course including a full offering of modules and the open water skills sessions later in the summer is $200 ($165 for Paddle Manitoba Members). If you are trying for certification, you must attend one offering of each of the theory modules above. You can select from whichever Offering is the most convenient for you.
If you are only interested in attending some or all the skills modules above, register for each module you are interested in. The fee is $10/module.
For further information, please contact:
Eric Gyselman – Tel: 204.918.0264